Also view us on FACEBOOK:

View us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1Ps6aEG

Sunday 15 December 2013

'FOLLOWING THE LAMB' - Part 1

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
by Rev. Canon George Sinclair                           
 Pastor of the Church of the Messiah, Ottawa, ON.
 www.messiahchurch.ca 

_____________________________________________________________
(Podcast of CFRA broadcast on Sunday, December 15th, 2013)
_____________________________________________________
Broadcast Notes:
*********************************************************

Following the Lamb’ - Part 1

  Following the lamb in the dying days of the dragon: Zealous?


Today, we are looking at:  Revelation2: 1-7

To the reader and listener: I share these broadcasts with other speakers. However, with this broadcast and the next 6 or seven broadcasts that I will do, I will speak on the Book of Revelation. In particular, I will spend a week on each of the "words to the seven churches" found in Revelation chapters 2 and 3. Each of these broadcasts are a shortened and adapted talk from a longer sermon that I have preached in the church that I have the privilege of being the pastor. In Church of the Messiah, I hope to preach through the whole Book of Revelation. That longer series is entitled "Following the Lamb in the dying days of the dragon." Hopefully this helps explain my curious title. Obviously, in the six weeks between my two talks, the other speakers will speak on whatever the Lord is laying on their hearts to address. 

Please pray for me. In the book of Revelation there is a stern warning about those who teach the Book - we are to be faithful expositors! There are also promises to the reader of great blessing to all who read and heed this powerful part of God's word written.

The Book of Revelation is a book about Jesus: what He has done, what He is doing and what He will do. It is on one hand a book about the future, but it is also a book which is always contemporary. God desires us to listen and follow what is written in Revelation.

Please turn in your bibles to Revelation 2:1-7. This is the resurrected Jesus speaking to the church in Ephesus - and also to every Christian in every church.

Read Revelation2: 1-7  New King James Version (NKJV)

The Loveless Church

“To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”’

1. Jesus walks with His churches and His Church. We see this in verse 1.

There are both local churches and there is the Church which is both world wide and trans-historical.

We enter the Jesus Way one-by-one but we walk the Jesus Way with Jesus and others.

2. Jesus cares about true doctrine and we should care about what He cares about. Read verses 2-3.

Because Jesus is real. Because He really did rise from the dead. Because He really is the Saviour. Because He really is God's on, then we can know and say true things about Him. If people say false things about our loved one, we want to defend their reputation and set the record straight. So it is for the Christian with Jesus - we should want to speak truly of Him and keep the record straight.

3. Indifference to bearing witness to the person and work of Jesus is a deadly sin. Read verses 4-5.

A zeal to bear witness to Jesus outside of the safe confines of the Christian community emerges out of true love and trust of Jesus.

Jesus asks me a question. He asks my church a question. He is asking you a question. Have I lost my zeal for Him? Have I lost my first love. He does not ask this to stop the conversation. He asks this that we might repent and call out to Him.

Read verse 6. This is very shocking and un-Canadian. Loving Jesus more does NOT mean I will test less or care for doctrine less or care for truth less or 'hate' false teaching less.

4. The Gospel pulls or draws us to enable personal change. Read verse 7.

Prayer:

Dear God, please grow in me a humble trusting knowledge of the greatness and majesty of Jesus to save me completely and perfectly and immediately and eternally. Please grow in me a zeal for Him. In Jesus name, AMEN.

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
Church of the Messiah
_____________________________________________
To listen to the above broadcast, click on the following link:
http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/6/18126/good_news_083_dec15.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment