Also view us on FACEBOOK:

View us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1Ps6aEG

Sunday 20 November 2011

The Lord’s Prayer - Part 6 – ‘Lead Us!’

Click on the following link to listen to this week’s broadcast (Aired Nov. 20th, 2011):
____________________________________________________________________
Broadcast Notes:

Biblical Principle:
A Faith that cannot be tested cannot be ‘trusted’

Let’s recap what we have learned thus far:

1   The Didache

The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles,

·         The Didache makes it clear that the early Church always
used the Lord’s Prayer in its public worship services and
did not permit unbelievers to join in the praying.

·         The Didache encouraged all believers to pray the Lord’s Prayer three times a day.

The first half of the Lord’s Prayer is directed to God-
·         His Paternity                              Our Father
·         His Person                                 Holy is Your Name
·         His Program                               Your Kingdom Come
·         His Purpose.                              Your Will be done

Now we move to our need for
·         Provision                                    Give us today our daily bread
·         Pardon                                        Forgive us
·         Protection                                  Lead us
·         Preservation                              Deliver us

1   Lead us Not in Temptation

Does the ‘word’ temptation always mean to tempt us to do evil?

·         God does not tempt us to do evil

‘When tempted, no one should say, God is tempting me. 
For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone;  but each one is tempted when by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.’                    James 1:13, 14

Ø  The Devil made me do it?
Ø  I wanted to do it?
Ø  God did not condone me doing it!

2   The word ‘Temptation’ also mean ‘testing’ or ‘trial’

The Fact is:
You and I are going to be tested.

Gen. 2:11
‘God tested Abraham’

Job 23:10
‘When He has tested me I will come forth as gold’

1 Timothy 3:10
‘They must first be tested’
Referring to the Office of Deacon

Jesus was tested as well
Matthew 4:1-11                     Heb. 4:14,15

Notice that the test was about ‘faithfulness’
The attack was focused on his ‘identity’

Let’s talk about ‘trials’

‘Consider it pure joy ….when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of our faith develops perseverance’ 
James 1:2,3

‘Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.’ 
James 1:12

The word ‘persevere’ in the Bible means to take whatever trial you are going through and use it as a platform to bring glory to God.

A Faith that cannot be tested cannot be ‘trusted’

Adam and Eve
(Adam’s bride)

The first Adam plunged us into sin
The  2nd Adam, Jesus Christ delivered us from sin.

The Church is the Bride of Christ we are in fact the 2nd Eve

Abraham had to be tested before he could be trusted
Abraham and Isaac

Sarah died age 127
Abraham died 175

3   A ‘Truth Lesson’

The Bible says that:
Satan is a deceiver
Satan is the ‘father of lies’
John 8:44

Satan masquerades as an angel of ‘light’
2 Cor. 11:14

Here’s the truth for our generation

·         not all light is truth
·         Don’t lie to yourself

Even our spiritual leaders are prone to fall.

Billly Graham said:
‘75% of our finest leaders have fallen to sexual sin

We all fall when we lose focus, when we allow ourselves to get distracted. 

Six Lies that we tell ourselves and open
The Door for Temptation’s Trap:
1 Corinthians 10:12, 13

Ø  It couldn’t happen to me
Ø  I’m the only one
Ø  God’s abandoned me
Ø  I didn’t have a choice
Ø  It’s not my fault
Ø  The devil made me do it

Sodom is a picture of Sin
Lot
·         He saw                    Gen. 13:10
·         Moved close           Gen. 13:12
·         Moved into             Gen. 14:12
·         It moved into him   Gen. 19:1

4   Know who you are and where you are going.

If you haven’t entered into God’s Will and God’s Plan for your life then let me ask you this question.

Do you know who you are and where you are going?

Remember in Satan’s attack and time of tempting Jesus
Satan attacked his ‘faithfulness’ to God’s Word and His very ‘identity’

In January 2000, leaders in Charlotte , North Carolina, invited their favorite son, Billy Graham, to a luncheon in his honor.

Billy initially hesitated to accept the invitation because he struggles with Parkinson's disease. But the Charlotte leaders said, 'We don't expect a major address. Just come and let us honor you.' So he agreed.. 

After wonderful things were said about him, Dr. Graham stepped to the rostrum, looked at the crowd, and said, 

'I'm reminded today of Albert Einstein, the great physicist who this month has been honored by Time magazine as the Man of the Century. 

Einstein was once traveling from Princeton on a train when the conductor came down the aisle, punching the tickets of every passenger. When he came to Einstein, Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He couldn't find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets. 

It wasn't there, so he looked in his briefcase but couldn't find it. Then he looked in the seat beside him.
He still couldn't find it.

The conductor said,
'Dr. Einstein, I know who you are.
We all know who you are.
I'm sure you bought a ticket. 
Don't worry about it.'

Einstein nodded appreciatively.

The conductor continued down the aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to move to the next car, he turned around and saw the great physicist down on his hands and knees looking under his seat for his ticket.

The conductor rushed back and said,
'Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don't worry,
I know who you are No problem.
You don't need a ticket. 
I'm sure you bought one.'

Einstein looked at him and said,
'Young man, I too, know who I am.
What I don't know is where I'm going.''
 

Having said that Billy Graham continued,
'See the suit I'm wearing?
It's a brand new suit. 
My children, and my grandchildren are telling me I've gotten a little slovenly in my old age.

I used to be a bit more fastidious.
So I went out and bought a new suit for this luncheon and one more occasion.

You know what that occasion is?
This is the suit in which I'll be buried.

But when you hear I'm dead,
I don't want you to immediately remember the suit I'm wearing.
I want you to remember this:

I not only know who I am ..
I also know where I'm going.'
 
So again, my friends, do you know where you are going?

(Broadcast closed with prayer.)

To listen to the above broadcast, click on the following link:

____________________________________________________
Next week – we will conclude this series on the Lord’s Prayer
as we focus on ‘Deliver Us’ from ‘the evil one

6 comments:

  1. Originally Posted by:
    LeadingTheWay (@Leading The Way - on Twitter)
    "Following God's plan will not always be easy, but we can trust that the all-powerful God will equip, guide, & strengthen us in our battles."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Originally Posted by:
    Joyce Meyer -(@JoyceMeyer - on Twitter)
    "Learn to be led by the Spirit, not by the flesh." (Galatians 5:16)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Originally Posted by:
    Joyce Meyer (@JoyceMeyer - on Twitter)
    “Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” -Matthew 26:41

    ReplyDelete
  4. Originally Posted by:
    FROdu -(@tiaaCLOUDKICKER - on Twitter)
    "God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation." -James 1:12

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oniginally Posted by:
    Jimmy Evans - (@PsJimmyEvans - on Twitter)
    "The devil dwells in darkness & wants us to focus our minds there. God dwells in light & He wants us to focus there. We dwell where we focus."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Originally Posted by:
    Nicky Gumbel - (@nickygumbel on Twitter)
    “Temptation is not a sin. Rather it is a call to battle.”

    ReplyDelete