Also view us on FACEBOOK:

View us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1Ps6aEG

Sunday 20 July 2014

'CHOOSE GRATITUDE: PRACTICAL DISCIPLESHIP' (Part 2)

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
by Rev. Canon George Sinclair                           
 Pastor of the Church of the Messiah, Ottawa, ON.
 www.messiahchurch.ca 

_____________________________________________________________
(Podcast of CFRA broadcast on Sunday, July 20th,  2014)
_____________________________________________________
Broadcast Notes:
*********************************************************

'Choose Gratitude: Practical Discipleship' 

(Part 2)


First Thessalonians 5: 16-17, 18b.

This is a shortened version of a Sermon I gave at Church of the Messiah. It was part of an 8 week series called "Practical Discipleship", where I went through First Thessalonians 5: 9-24:

I want to be used by God to make disciples gripped by the Gospel living for God's glory.

From the ESV, the Bible text is: "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Other reference passage:
Luke 18:10-14English Standard Version (ESV):

10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Footnotes:
  1. Luke 18:11 Or standing, prayed to himself

1. Sometimes being thankful shows that we are very far from God.

2. The Bible is not telling me to feel anything.

3. God calls me to turn to Him and give Him thanks in my circumstances not for my circumstances.

4. God calls me to turn to Him and speak to Him and one of the things I am to do is give Him thanks.

5. I am not a god in process. I am a fallen creature.

The Bible never tells you to forgive yourself. Stop seeking to forgive yourself. Seek forgiveness from those you have wronged. Ask God for forgiveness. Ask God to help you accept His forgiveness of you. 

6. I am "only need". God is "Never need, Only Give, Only Love".

7. I am completely dependent upon God and completely estranged from Him.

8. In every situation I am in, I need to turn to God and dwell on His greatness and His glory AND dwell on Jesus Christ crucified as I speak to Him and give thanks to Him.

Let’s pray:

Father, Turn our hearts to Jesus. Turn our hearts to trust in Him. Make us disciples, gripped by the Gospel, living for your glory.

- Rev. Canon George Sinclair
Church of the Messiah
_____________________________________________
To listen to the above broadcast, click on the following link:
http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/6/23718/good_news_114_july20.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment