Also view us on FACEBOOK:

View us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1Ps6aEG

Sunday 9 March 2014

'PRACTICAL?'

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
by Rev. Canon George Sinclair                           
 Pastor of the Church of the Messiah, Ottawa, ON.
 www.messiahchurch.ca 

_____________________________________________________________
(Podcast of CFRA broadcast on Sunday, March 9th,  2014)
_____________________________________________________
Broadcast Notes:
*********************************************************

Practical?’ 


Please turn in your Bible to the book of Revelation. Today we are going to read Jesus' words to the church in Pergamum. It is found in Revelation 2:12-17.

When I preached a full sermon on this letter, it was part of a Sermon series entitled, "Following the Lamb in the dying days of the dragon."

Read revelation 2: 12-17.

Revelation 2:12-17  - English Standard Version (ESV)
To the Church in Pergamum
12 “And to the angel of the church in Pergamum write: ‘The words of him who has (A)the sharp two-edged sword.
13 “‘I know where you dwell, (B)where Satan's throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not (C)deny my faith[a] even in the days of Antipas (D)my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. 14 But I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of (E)Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, so that they might (F)eat food sacrificed to idols and (G)practice sexual immorality. 15 So also you have some who hold the teaching of (H)the Nicolaitans. 16 Therefore repent. If not, (I)I will come to you soon and (J)war against them with (K)the sword of my mouth. 17 (L)He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (M)To the one who conquers I will give some of (N)the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with (O)a new name written on the stone (P)that no one knows except the one who receives it.’

Footnotes:
a.      Revelation 2:13 Or your faith in me

Cross references:
B.     Revelation 2:13 : ver. 9
I.       Revelation 2:16 : [ch. 22:7]

1. What defines "practical"? How do we define "practical"?

2. When Jesus is small and idols and people are big I will define "Practical" one way. When Jesus is IMMENSE and idols are nothing and people are small, I will define "practical" a different way.

As an aside, when people are big and God is small, the world is filled with little people. When God is big and people are small, there are no little people.

3. Being practical as the world defines practical will lead me into judgment by the living God.

4. My only hope is that the sword of judgment I deserve fell on Jesus so that I by faith can have a new identity and destiny.

What about you? Have you turned to Jesus? Have you turned to Jesus in repentance and faith?

Have you said to Him, “Thank you that the sort of judgement that I deserve, fell on you, so that I might be God’s child by adoption and grace”?

Have you asked Jesus to come into your life to be your Saviour and your Lord?

Let’s just pray,

Father, we ask that you grow in us, day-by-day, an ever deeper sense, a humble, trusting knowledge of just how big you are, how big Jesus is, how big the cross is, and how big grace is. And Father, help us to turn to Jesus in repentance and faith, living in light of just how immense you are.

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
Church of the Messiah
_____________________________________________
To listen to the above broadcast, click on the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment