Also view us on FACEBOOK:

View us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1Ps6aEG

Sunday 24 May 2015

'JESUS ON HOLY COMMUNION'

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
by Rev. Canon George Sinclair                           
 Pastor of the Church of the Messiah, Ottawa, ON.
 www.messiahchurch.ca 

___________________________________________________________
(Podcast of CFRA broadcast on Sunday, May 24th,  2015)
_____________________________________________________
Broadcast Notes:
*********************************************************

'Jesus On Holy Communion'

Today's Reading is From: Luke22: 1-20  (ESV)
 

The Plot to Kill Jesus

22 Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread drew near, which is called the Passover. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to put him to death, for they feared the people.

Judas to Betray Jesus

Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve. He went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers how he might betray him to them. And they were glad, and agreed to give him money. So he consented and sought an opportunity to betray him to them in the absence of a crowd.

The Passover with the Disciples

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. So Jesus[a] sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat it.” They said to him, “Where will you have us prepare it?” 10 He said to them, “Behold, when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters 11 and tell the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says to you, Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 12 And he will show you a large upper room furnished; prepare it there.” 13 And they went and found it just as he had told them, and they prepared the Passover.

Institution of the Lord's Supper

14 And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. 15 And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you I will not eat it[b] until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” 17 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. 18 For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” 19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.[c]

Footnotes:

  1. Luke 22:8 Greek he
  2. Luke 22:16 Some manuscripts never eat it again
  3. Luke 22:20 Some manuscripts omit, in whole or in part, verses 19b-20 (which is given… in my blood)                                                                                                                                                ______________________________________________________
Dear friends,

My words this week are shortened from a longer sermon that I gave at my home church, Church of the Messiah. The original sermon was part of a series entitled, Luke: Jesus For Pagans And Skeptics. In the notes today, I have added a few practical matters to help you when you go are part of a communion service.

Please pray for me and for all of the speakers.

1. Why can human beings so easily plan evil, and plan to do good, at the same time - all the while thinking that we are superior?

2. Satan is real, invisible, hostile and active in human affairs - and I will not take him lightly or ignore him or fear him or be pre-occupied with him.

3. In love Jesus died for me. In love He explained the meaning of His death. In love He calls ordinary people to be His people, and to meet together, and to remember who He is and what He accomplished for us.

4. Luke tells the real story of the real God acting with real grace for real people in real history where His real Son died to really inaugurate a real covenant that I can really enter into and really live in.

Some (hopefully) helpful comments on preparing to receive Holy Communion.

A. I will choose to remember that Jesus died to reconcile me to the living God.

B. I will choose to say "Thank You" to Jesus for who He is and what He did.

C. I will choose to not seek to experience a particular emotion.

D.  I will choose to leave it up to God as to how I will benefit from receiving communion.

Friends, 

Give yourself to Jesus. Trust Him as your Saviour. Be Baptized --one of the institutions of Jesus.  Celebrate the Lord's Supper with others, and when you celebrate the Lord's Supper, remember that He died for you. Remember that, and say, "Thank you". 

Father, pour out Your Holy Spirit upon all these Listeners. Bless us. Bring us to Jesus. Make us disciples of Jesus, gripped by the Gospel, who live for your glory.

- Rev. Canon George Sinclair
Church of the Messiah
_____________________________________________
To listen to the above broadcast, click on the following link:


No comments:

Post a Comment